The non-emergency number for the department is 906-482-0009. The fire chief can also be reached by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The first fire department in Houghton was established December 12, 1861, creating the Continental Fire Co. No. 1.
The first fire fighting equipment was a hand operated pumper, purchased from the S.S Smith Company for $225.00. The first motorized fire fighting equipment was not purchased until 1923.
In 1897, the Houghton Council appointed Louis Voetsch as the city’s first Fire Chief who served until 1914. The following people have served as Fire Chief since that time:
- Ray Eggleston (1914 – 1942)
- Si Evans (1942 – 1949)
- Ralph Voetsch (1949 – 1964)
- Gus Colombe (1964 – 1965)
- Chas Hornick (1965 – 1966)
- Jim Chappell (1966 – 1995)
- Jim Lightfoot 1995 – 2012
- Mike Reynolds 2012 – present
Our Fire Hall was built in 1994 at the corner of Sharon Avenue and Gundlach Road. The department’s equipment includes a 2010 Dodge mini pumper, a 2000 Spartan Metro pumper, a 2006 HME pumper, and a 2015 Pierce Arrow XT 100′ aerial platform.
The Houghton Fire Department also covers all of Michigan Tech University property.
The present staff includes:
Captain of Apparatus
and 25 Volunteers
If you are interested in applying for a volunteer position with the Houghton Fire Department, please fill out the application below and return it to the city office.