In accordance with Public Act 228 of 2020, the Houghton City Council passed a resolution providing the rules for public meetings to be held electronically through December 31, 2021:
CITY OF HOUGHTON
POLICY FOR PUBLIC ACT 228 OF 2020
The following resolution was presented by Councilor Lankton.
WHEREAS: Public Act 228 of 2020 made changes to the Open Meetings Act to allow members of a public body to attend a public meeting remotely under the following circumstances: military duty, a medical condition, statewide or local state of emergency or state of disaster declared pursuant to law or charter; and;
WHEREAS: Public Act 228 of 2020 requires public bodies to create rules of procedure by which the absent member(s) may participate in, and vote on, business before the public body.
NOW, THEREFORE, The Houghton City Council provides the following Rules of Procedure covering all public meetings of the council and all commissions for the City of Houghton through December 31, 2021.
- All meetings of City of Houghton public bodies shall provide two-way communication between all members of the public body and the public.
- From October 28, 2020 through December 31, 2020, any member of the public body may attend the meeting remotely without stating a reason.
- Beginning January 1, 2021, any member of the public body may attend the meeting remotely for one of these reasons:
- Military service.
- Medical condition (meaning an illness, injury, disability, or other health-related condition).
- Quarantine as recommended by a healthcare provider or as required by the local health department, state, or federal government.
- Any member of the public body attending the meeting remotely will announce the following during roll-call and this information will be noted in the minutes of the meeting:
- That the member is attending the meeting remotely and report the city and state from which he or she is attending the meeting remotely. Members on military service do not need to state their location.
- Beginning January 1, 2021, the reason listed in 3 above that the member is attending the meeting remotely.
- If one or more members of the public body are attending the meeting remotely, all votes of the council or commission will be taken by roll-call.
Adopted at a Regular Meeting of the Houghton City Council held on the 28th day of October, 2020.
Ann Vollrath, Clerk