Dee Stadium is located at 700 East Lakeshore Drive on the waterfront in downtown Houghton. The facility is a community center consisting of a historic ballroom and ice skating/hockey rink. The ballroom is available for rent year round for parties, private gatherings or public classes. The ice surface is open from October through April and is home to Copper Country Junior Hockey, Houghton High School and the Portage Lake Pioneers. The Dee offers free public skating weekly and the ice is also available for private rentals.
History of Dee Stadium
- 1902 The Amphidrome was built and The Portage Lakes began playing professional hockey.
- 1903 The Portage Lakes win Hockey’s first National Championship and the American Hockey Association is formed.
- 1904 The American Hockey Association is reorganized into the International Hockey League (IHL). Formation of the IHL marked the official beginning of professional hockey.
- 1927 The Amphidrome is destroyed by fire.
- 1928 The New Amphidrome is rebuilt on the same site.
- 1946 The Michigan College of Mining and Technology purchases the building and changes the name to Dee Stadium.
- 1988 The City of Houghton purchases Dee Stadium.
Birthplace of Professional Hockey and The History of Hockey Exhibit
Visit the Birthplace of Professional Hockey and The History of Hockey Exhibit, located in The Kenner Ruohonen Memorial History Room. The Hockey History Museum is open during the summer months Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with extended hours during hockey season.
To learn more about Dee Stadium, its role as the birthplace of professional hockey, and Copper Country hockey history; visit the Copper Country Hockey History website.
2020-21 Regular Season Open Skating Sessions (Free of charge)
Sunday 5:30 pm – 6:45 pm
Adult & Senior Open Skating
Monday & Thursday 12 pm – 1:30 pm
Learn to Skate for Kids
Wednesday 12 pm – 1:30 pm
- There will be occasional cancellations due to hockey games, tournaments, or other activities. Click on the link to view the schedule. There will also be schedule changes on the answering machine at 482-7760.
- Children on the ice for the Learn to Skate Program must have a parent or guardian on the ice with them at all times.
- The Dee also offers a sit-in skate sled for those with mobility challenges. To use the sled, please see the rink attendant.
The Dee Stadium does not rent skates
Dee Stadium Rental
Holiday Ice Rental – please click below to see the holiday rental schedule – call Jeff for scheduling 906-482-1700.
Dee Stadium is open for hourly ice rental from about October 1st to May 1st.
Please call or e-mail the Building Manager 906-482-7760 or firstname.lastname@example.org for ice time availability and current rates.
Dee Stadium Ballroom Rental
The ballroom on the second floor offers an elegant and affordable space for all occasions including weddings, proms, baby showers, etc. The 5,375 square foot ballroom features an 850 square foot sun room overlooking the canal, restrooms, and basic kitchen facilities. The ballroom holds 300-400 people and is accessible by stairs and chair lift. The ballroom offers 250 chairs, (29) 6′ tables, (3) 7′ tables, (3) 8′ tables and (10) 72″ round tables for use.
To rent any of the Dee’s facilities contact Jeff Jepsen at 906.482-1700 or e-mail email@example.com
Dee Stadium Ballroom Rental Options
3 Day Event$600
1 Day Event$200
1/2 Day Event$75
1 Hour Rental$25
Refundable Cleaning Deposit$75
Refundable Damage Deposit$75
Marquee Sign Rental (Included with 3 Day Event)$25/Day
Non- Refundable Deposit100.00